Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nothing Rhymes With Vegan Scallop Linguine

It's come to my attention that I completely missed the opportunity to riff off a few puns about beets in the last post, but what are you gonna do? No need to beet myself up over it... And of course, I'm a huge fan of puns, you could go so far as calling me a pun-dit and I could pun-tificate all day long on the glory of wordplay and humour. But today's post is about vegan scallops and linguine. Punning about scallops is the equivalent of finding a word that rhymes with orange and the closest I could find so far on that one is "storage"...

Anyways, onto the food! Last week, I was searching online to find a good cauliflower recipe and stumbled upon this wonderful dish courtesy of the Vegan Homemade Blog and I absolutely had to try it out. And I immediately had the brilliant idea to pair it with linguine and a vegan Alfredo sauce. A lot of the recipes I found were either too complicated or had ingredients that were too difficult to find. I eventually found this one on Vegan Dad's blog. I pretty much had everything in my pantry and the only things that I needed to re-stock were the tofu, sea salt and white wine (I went with a Pinot Grigio from Pelee Island by the way). The best thing about this meal was that both recipes were super easy! 

Here are some pics:


Chopped King Trumpet Mushrooms

Marinating the Mushrooms. I couldn't find vegan fish sauce, so I substituted that with soya sauce and a splash of sesame oil and it turned out awesomely!

Finished Dish - Scallop Linguine!

Krista's empty plate! See how nice I am, I share my food with my wife, I'm not shellfish...


3 comments:

  1. I am crabby that I missed this one. Whale is ever be served again? Maybe next time with Snapper peas?
    ...how embarrassing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many puns in one sentence leads me to believe that you're fishing for complements...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were I fishing for compliments, I would have used more impressive bait.

    ReplyDelete