Monday, August 1, 2011

Supper for Breakfast

Last night Krista and I had Tofu Benedict with Homefries. Both recipes were found in the wonderfully awesome cookbook Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Krista made this recipe once before, but it didn't turn out as nicely (possibly because I wasn't helping out that time around...). A while back, we located some black salt at an Indian grocery store on Somerset, so that helped improve the taste of the tofu marinade. Throughout the course of the evening, I discovered I'm not so great at following recipes. I forgot to add the turmeric to the Hollondaise until the last minute and there was some step where we were supposed to add liquid smoke and salt (substituting for smoked salt) that never happened. I guess it wasn't a crucial step though, because the meal turned out great! It also got me thinking that maybe I could try using tofu instead of mushrooms in the vegan scallop recipe, but I'm not sure what kind would work best. If anyone has any suggestions, it'd be much appreciated. Anyways, on to the food photos!
Future Tofu Benedict & Homefries!

Marinating Tofu

Krista's working on the homefries
Whisking the Hollondaise. As you can tell from the colour, I haven't remembered the turmeric yet..

Wine for the Hollondaise

I remembered the turmeric!

Finished homefries

Tofu's a-fryin!

Tofu Benedict and Homefries finished just in time for Shark Week!

1 comment: