Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Holy Mole! Chocolate Peanut Butter Tempeh Sweet Potato Chili!

We lost a good friend this morning, so I felt some comfort food was an appropriate meal choice. I pulled out the crock pot and made a batch of Sweet Potato Chili. The great thing about this recipe is that it's really easy and super cheap. I think you can make a double batch of this for less than $20 and the leftovers will last all week. Since we've moved into the new house with Karen, a lot of our ingredients are doubled up. One of those ingredient redundancies was peanut butter, so I emptied out some chunky peanut butter into the mix (it was at least a cup's worth). When we were camping in Maine a few weeks ago, we visited a Mexican restaurant in Portland that made an awesome Chili Relleno featuring an amazing Mole sauce. This inspired me to add some unsweetened chocolate into the mix (probably about 3-4 tablespoons). This was a pretty risky choice for comfort food, but I had a feeling that it would all turn out nicely combined with the sweet potatoes. Oh and one more thing, I normally add vegan ground beef to my chili, but we didn't have any, so I  substituted Tempeh instead. The earthiness of the Tempeh, Mushrooms (subbed for red peppers) Cumin and Peanut Butter combined with the Sweet Potatoes and Chocolate really went well together. Turned out to be the best Chili yet. Karen made a Taco Salad to go along with fresh veggies delivered to our door today from the folks at Ottawa Food Box. Here's a pic of the meal:


No comments:

Post a Comment